Asda worker hailed as ‘angel sent from heaven’ after saving suffocating colleague

News

An Asda worker has been hailed as an “angel sent from heaven” after her quick thinking saved a colleague’s life.

Despite having never suffered an allergic reaction before Cath McCaig suddenly began gasping for air after she bit into a nutty chocolate bar.

When her throat suddenly swelled up and she threw up, co-worker Arlene Nimmo sprung into action, the Daily Record reports.

Cath recalled: “It just happened so quickly.

“I had the chocolate and then I couldn’t breathe. I managed to tap one of the lads, Frazer Burns, on the back and he and Ryan Whyte took me to Arlene in the kiosk.

“I was really panicking. It was the fright of my life. I couldn’t get my breath at all. I was sweating and my heart rate was sky high and I couldn’t speak.

“Arlene managed to get me into a position with my head back so my airwaves were opened up. Then she tried to calm me down as I thought I was dying. It’s a feeling I never, ever want to have in my life again.”

After dialling 999, Arlene phoned Cath’s husband Mark who came to the store in Alloa, Scotland and took his wife to Larbert Hospital.

Cath was given antihistamine and checked over before being allowed to go home.

The 56-year-old, who has worked at the store for 14 years, is currently waiting to find out whether she is allergic to nuts or chocolate after the severe reaction came as a “complete shock.”

She said: “I do not know why I went to Arlene that day. I think I just thought she’d know what to do. I can’t thank her enough.

“She’s my own personal angel sent from heaven and I owe her my life.”

Arlene, 55, has worked at the branch for the past five years and had never dealt with an allergic reaction before saving Cath’s life.

She said: “When I saw Cath she was grey and couldn’t breathe and I knew there was something seriously wrong. She was passing out so I grabbed her. She was panicking and hyperventilating. Her airwaves were closing and she was being sick too.

“I managed to get her into a position on a chair which I knew would open up her airwaves and give them a clear run.

“It was just instinct – and having three kids. It was just survival mode which kicked in.

“I knew that if I didn’t do anything she would have been in big trouble. She really wasn’t in a good place. I don’t think I’m a hero – she’s just my friend.”

Michelle Piper, the store’s service section leader, said the whole store was proud of Arlene.

She said: “Arlene helped Cath without thinking twice. She was there to help her, keep her calm and get her the help she needed. I’m proud of her as I’m proud with all our colleagues.

“The friendships formed in store are amazing and the love you feel from everyone is something special.”